MCM Ribbon Cutting
May 24, 2018 - Leslie Venzuela
The Anderson School of Management celebrated its new state-of-the-art McKinnon Center for Management (MCM) with a ribbon cutting on Friday, May 11, 2018.
The MCM is the first new building dedicated to the Anderson School in 48 years. It is designed to LEED Gold Certification Standards and has a significant emphasis on student-focused services such as high-tech classrooms, experiential learning spaces, and collaborative study rooms.
At the ceremony, UNM President Garnett Stokes discussed the importance of the MCM building to the university. Anderson Dean Craig White agrees.
“The construction of the McKinnon Center is a major milestone in the history of the Anderson School,” says Dean Craig White. “The investment to the school by Ian and Sonnet McKinnon will have a significant impact on our students for years to come.”
The MCM building was made possible by a $5M lead gift by Ian and Sonnet McKinnon. The McKinnons both grew up in Albuquerque. Sonnet is an Anderson alumna who earned her BBA in finance in 1993. Ian is a graduate of the Albuquerque Academy and serves on its Board of Trustees. He earned a BA from Occidental College, and MBA from Harvard Business School, and was a finalist for both the Rhodes and Marshall Scholarships.
The ribbon cutting marks the end of an 18-month construction project that gives students access to 63,445 square feet of new classrooms, a technology center, advanced IT services, career planning and placement center, advisement space, behavioral research lab, and marketing center.
The cost of the new building is $25.41M, of which only 3% came from state funds. UNM and UNM students showed their support for the project by approving $18M in institutional bonds paid for by student fees. A total of $7.95M came from private fundraising efforts including 219 Anderson alums from 25 states who donated to the Power of You campaign to support the new Anderson Alumni Center for Student Services housed in the MCM. Portions of the private funds raised will be used for the Anderson School Capital Campaign earmarked for Phase II of the building project.
The generosity of donors resulted in 20 named spaces in the MCM.
- Anderson Foundation Technology Center
- Rick and Debbie Johnson Marketing Lab
- Mary C. Rich and Ernest I. Rich Memorial Classroom
- Anthony D. Trujillo Case Study Room
- Douglas M. Brown Deans Suite
- Anderson Alumni Center for Student Services
- Lydia and Steve Griego Innovation Center
- Parker Center for Family Business
- Tom Daulton Family Student Study Room
- Jim and Gail Ellis Student Study Room
- Three KPMG Huddle Spaces
- Mayor Richard Berry and First Lady Maria Berry FITE Department Chair Office
- Craig and Laura White/Shawn Berman and Janet Holmberg/Tina Vasantha Agnes Walsh DOS Department Chair Office
- BPW&C Accounting Chair Office
- Donald W. Newberry, CPA MIDS Department Chair Office
- Carl Alongi Accounting Office
- Brad and Lois Preber Student Study Room
- Anderson Faculty and Staff Offices
The building opens to the public on July 2, 2018, and Anderson students can look forward to classes in the building beginning on August 20, 2018, the first day of the Fall Semester.