Outdoor Recreation Certificate
The Outdoor Recreation certificate program was a collaborative effort between the Anderson School of Management and Santa Fe Innovates. We offered two certificates focusing on early-stage entrepreneurs in central and northern New Mexico who were interested in learning more about the outdoor recreation industry and validating outdoor recreation business ideas. The first certificate, Introduction to the Outdoor Economy, took place in November 2021. The second certificate, Validating an Outdoor Recreation Business was offered in late-January 2022.
Introduction to the Outdoor Economy
Introduction to the Outdoor Economy delivered an overview of industry dynamics, a review of the outdoor recreation industry and market in the United States and New Mexico, including investors’ expectations. For more information, view our past event recordings, below.
Validating an Outdoor Recreation Business Idea
Validating an Outdoor Recreation Business Idea delivered a process and offered tools for entrepreneurs to iterate, test, and validate their outdoor recreation idea and business model, determine problem-solution fit and business model support. For more information, view our past event recordings, below.
Specific certificate outcomes include:
- Telling your startup idea and beginning to map your idea using the Lean Canvas as a guide;
- Refining the identified solution using the Job to Be Done concepts and introduce diagnosing the entrepreneur’s Lean Canvas;
- Visualizing the entrepreneur’s business model and determining traction of the business model; and
- Incorporating social and environmental impact principles into the startup; e.g., why doing good matters for outdoor recreation startups.
- Attend every Saturday workshop and mentoring session (180 minutes per week)
- Attend at least two of the four Tuesday lunchtime presentations (60 minutes each)
- Complete weekly readings and assignments (estimated hours per week included in the syllabus)
- Provide weekly updates to the certificate team, including your mentor
Week 1: Introductions, Strategic Narrative, and Lean Canvas
- Saturday, January 29, 2022, 9 a.m.-noon (Workshop)
Week 2: Early Adopters and Foundations
- Tuesday, February 1, 2022, noon-1:30 p.m. (Guest presentation)
- Saturday, February 5, 2022, 9 a.m.-noon (Workshop and Mentorship)
Week 3: Iteration, Refining, and Business Model Design
- Tuesday, February 8, 2022, noon-1:30 p.m. (Guest presentation - Ron Dimon: Budgeting, planning & forecasting for Social Entrepreneurs)
- Saturday, February 12, 2022, 9 a.m.-noon (Workshop and Mentorship)
Week 4: Market, Validation, and Preparing your Pitch
- Tuesday, February 15, 2022, noon-1:30 p.m (Guest presentation)
- Saturday, February 19, 2022, 9 a.m.-noon (Workshop, Mentorship, and Social Impact)
Week 5: Idea Pitch and Marketing
- Tuesday, February 22, 2022, noon-1:30 p.m (Guest presentation - Kelly Koepke: Putting the Pizzaz in your Business Writing)
- Saturday, February 26, 2022, 9 a.m.-noon (Idea Pitch)
For more information, please email email@example.com.
Past Event: Introduction to the Outdoor Economy
Session 1, November 6, 2021
- Introduction to Industry Dynamics and External Analysis – Dr. Karen Patterson, Associate Professor, Anderson School of Management
- Outdoor Recreation Industry: An Overview and Current Trends – Kelly Davis, Director of Research, Outdoor Industry Association
Session 2, November 13, 2021
- New Mexico Outdoor Recreation Industry – Axie Navas, Director, Outdoor Recreation Division, New Mexico Economic Development Department
- Investors’ Expectations – Joel Van Essen, Associate, City Different Investments