Frequently Asked Questions

Will studying abroad force me to delay my graduation? Will I earn credit for the coursework I complete abroad?

You will earn UNM credit for coursework completed under any of UNM's programs or exchange partners, and as long as you plan correctly you it will not delay your graduation. But advanced planning is crucial. It is important to identify an international exchange or study abroad program that offers courses that will apply toward your degree requirements. When you apply to study abroad, you will need to provide a tentative list of courses that you plan to take. After applying, be sure to have your courses pre-approved for specific requirements before you study abroad.

What does it take to have courses approved for UNM degree requirements when I take part in an international exchange program?

You will receive UNM credit for all coursework completed abroad, but those credits will only count toward specific degree requirements if the appropriate approvals have been obtained. In general, you should obtain as much information regarding a course you plan to take abroad (syllabus, course description, and/or name of textbook used; provide an English translation if necessary) and share this information with your academic advisor. It helps if you can also identify the relevant course, if any, that you believe it should count towards at UNM. If you complete this process before studying abroad, you will know what to expect when you return. If you wait to complete this process until after you study abroad, you may find it more difficult to have your credits apply to specific degree requirements.

Do I have to be formally admitted into the Anderson School in order to take part in the Anderson School's international programs?

No. All UNM students are eligible, provided they meet any relevant pre-requisites. Undergraduate students often end up studying abroad before they are formally admitted into Anderson. It is important to have your coursework reviewed

Are graduate students (MBA, MACCT, other) eligible to study abroad?

Absolutely, but there are certain limitations. First, due to the short duration of masters programs, it is important for graduate students to begin planning early to study abroad. Second, graduate students are limited to transferring 12 credit hours from study abroad. Also, some of our international exchange partners do not offer graduate-level courses. It is more common for graduate students to take part in short-term and summer programs rather than semester exchanges, but graduate students are still eligible for semester-long exchanges. In any case, it is important to have study abroad coursework evaluated in advance so as to ensure that the credits apply towards degree requirements.

Do I have to be fluent in a foreign language in order to study abroad?

No. Studying abroad is an excellent opportunity for students who are nearly fluent in a foreign language to study in that language directly and to improve fluency. However, students may also opt to study in English by choosing to study (1) in a country where the official language is English, (2) at universities in which the language of instruction is English for all students even though the country's official language is not English (e.g., programs in Denmark, Sweden), or (3) at universities that offer courses in both the official language and English. Programs that offer at least some coursework in English are designated with a special symbol on the list of partner schools. Most UNM short-term faculty-led programs are taught in English as well.

Are there courses available internationally for my concentration?

In general, students completing the International Management concentration (BBA or MBA) will find the widest selection of concentration courses to complete abroad, and these students may apply up to three courses from an exchange program toward the concentration. Students completing other concentrations may have a narrower set of exchange schools from which to choose, but there are exchange schools offering courses in all areas. If you concentration is something other than International Management, you are limited to counting a maximum of 2 courses from an international exchange toward your concentration. In all cases, courses must be evaluated and approved by the area adviser in order to count toward a concentration.

Are international internships available?

A few of the Anderson School's international exchange partners have offered to organize internship opportunities; these schools are identified in the list of exchange partners. When available, internships are unpaid but students may earn academic credit. Special internship opportunities are associated with the FIPSE scholarship program in Canada and Mexico. Additional summer international internship opportunities will be available in 2010 and 2011.

Are foreign students eligible to study abroad?

Yes. Just be sure to comply with visa requirements that may apply, since visa requirements may be different for US citizens versus citizens of other countries.

How much does it cost?

By studying abroad through one of UNM’s international exchanges, students pay regular UNM tuition and fees while studying at a partner school. Expenses such as room, board and books are paid locally and may be greater than or less than costs at UNM, depending on the location. Students should budget for travel and other expenses. In general, there are no fees paid to the foreign institution in order to participate, though special fees may be assessed for equipment, materials, transportation and related expenses. Short-term and faculty-led programs will have a different cost structure and will advertise the cost to students.

When is the best time in my degree program to study abroad?

Students may study abroad at any point, but your prospects for applying credits toward degree requirements are generally best if you study abroad roughly one year or at least a semester prior to your final semester before graduation.

When is the application deadline?

For fall semester exchange programs, the application is February 15. For spring semester exchange programs, the application deadline is October 1. Summer programs and short-term faculty-led programs will generally set their own deadlines.

How do I apply to study abroad?

For semester exchange programs in Latin America and Spain, you should apply through UNM’s Latin American and Iberian Institute ( For all other regions, you should apply for semester exchanges through UNM’s Office of International Programs and Studies ( & Short-term and faculty-led programs may have their own application process.

How selective is the application process, and will I get my first choice?

Certain exchange programs are very competitive, but others are not as competitive. Also, since our exchange programs are reciprocal, partners might not accept students for a period until a balance is established. Therefore, it is important to specify your top choice as well as a second and third choice.

Are there any scholarships available? Will my financial aid apply?

Most forms of financial aid are applicable to studying abroad, and there are special scholarships available, including scholarships for undergraduates through the UNM Regents and two federal grants through the Anderson School. Contact your advisor for more information.